The Nub’s Nob XC Ski Academy is all about fun and fundamentals for junior skiers. Just like swim lessons, skiers learn in small groups with the same instructor and friends each week. Each lesson grows from the last lesson with the goal of providing the most effective outcome of learning to XC ski while having fun. Cross-Country Ski Academy is for all levels of XC skiers ages 5 to 15. This is a great way to get introduced to the sport, learn proper technique and improve physical fitness. XC Ski Academy is where a lifetime of fun on the trails begins.
- Ages 5 to 15 (based on your age on 12/31/20)
- Trail pass or season pass
- Classic cross-country skis, boots and poles that fit
- Signed Waiver for all participant
- $150 for 8 weeks of 1.5-hour long group lessons
- Register online or over the phone by calling 1-800-SKI-NUBS or 231-526-2131
- Space is limited so register early
- XC Ski Academy meets on Monday afternoons beginning Jan. 4, 2021 and ending Monday, March 1, 2021. All XC Ski academy sessions are from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm
- XC Ski Academy meets outdoors outside the Brown Bagger (under the bar deck). Please come prepared to stay outside for the duration of the academy.
- The XC Ski Academy will meet as a group for the first 10 to 15 minutes as we do warmups. Following this time, the group will split into smaller pods based on age/ability. These pods will stay the same for duration of XC Ski Academy with the same instructor.
- Each night of XC Ski Academy will focus on progression with the goal of improving classic ski technique. Age appropriate methods will be used based on PSIA-AASI instruction. In addition to working on fundamentals participants will enjoy time exploring the Nub’s Nob Trail System and have the opportunity to participate in XC games and a few time trials
- Does my child need a mask for XC Academy? Face coverings are not required on the cross-country trails, however due to the group setting of XC Academy face coverings must be worn during instruction or when persistently skiing within 6′ of others on the trails. Face coverings are required in all other settings at Nub’s Nob this year.
- Where do I find XC ski equipment? We highly recommend contacting The Outfitter of Harbor Springs (231-526-2621). They have seasonal youth XC ski rentals and wide variety of proper winter attire. North Bound Outfitters (989-348-8558) in Grayling is another specialty XC ski shop that does seasonal youth XC rentals and has a large selection of youth XC ski gear.
- Can I ski with my child? If you are interested in skiing with the Academy, we welcome your participation. However, we ask that parents try to stay in the background and allow your child to interact with the instructor and fellow XC skiers. All participants will need a signed waiver and a valid trail pass or season pass.
- My children have never been on XC skis, will they be OK? If you can walk you can Cross-Country ski. One of the wonderful things about this sport is it’s easy to get started, but difficult to master.
- How should my child dress? Great question. For beginners it’s Ok to wear normal alpine ski clothing. As students’ progress and begin to increase effort they will likely be too warm in alpine clothing that does not breath well. We recommend clothing that keeps you warm, but is highly breathable.
- Who can I contact with additional questions? Please contact our Winter Sports School Director Brad Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 231-526-2131).