19 Sep Operating Plans
Operating Plans for the 2020-21 Ski Season at Nub’s Nob
There will be some big changes at Nub’s Nob this year due to regulations meant to help slow the spread of the novel Coronavirus. Our goal is to operate responsibly during these unprecedented times. The first priority at Nub’s Nob this season and every season is to provide exceptional skiing with first-class and friendly service.
This operating plan is subject to change as restrictions and our understanding of the spread of this virus continue to evolve. In all decisions we will prioritize the safety of our Crew and skiers while still providing the opportunity for skiers and riders to enjoy the slopes at Nub’s Nob.
Nub’s Nob will not restrict season pass sales or season pass usage. Our season pass products are unchanged from last season. Season Pass holders will not need to make reservations for skiing or riding.
Nub’s Nob plans to sell lift tickets every day. Currently, we do not plan to restrict daily ticket sales. Lift tickets will be available for sale outdoors at the ticket window. We do not plan on online ticket sales or any advance purchasing options.
FOOD & BEVERAGE
We plan to open the main lodge cafeteria and Pintail Peak café with capacity restrictions. We have added plexiglass barriers for everyone’s protection. The restrictions are based around the need to maintain 6’ of social distance while in line at the cafeteria and when seated. We plan to offer the same great Nub’s Nob food, but with a stripped-down menu. Due to the capacity restrictions there is a good chance people will not be able to access these areas on busy days.
Unfortunately, brown-bag lunches and crockpots will not be allowed in the lodge this year. This is against our skier-focused culture and we look forward to changing this rule as soon as it makes sense to do so.
To accommodate these restrictions, we have added two new outdoor food service options. The first is expanded seating in the Winter Garden with a food-truck style venue that will have a limited rotating menu and draft beer options. The second is a slope side pickup window on the deck off the main lodge. This slope side pick-up window is for orders that have been placed on mobile devices and for purchasing beer or wine from the pub.
Guests will be asked to self-group and load the chair with their party. Lift attendants will not require guests to ride a chairlift with people they do not know. Face coverings will be required when loading and riding the lifts.
Rental equipment will be available on a limited basis pending local and state regulations. Access to the rental building will be limited and controlled based on guidance from local health authorities. A reservation to pick-up rental equipment may be required. Please visit nubsnob.com for updated information on rentals before you make the trip to the ski area.
WINTER SPORTS SCHOOL
Private lessons will be available through the new Nub’s Nob Winter Sports School. All lessons will be booked in advance over the phone (1-800-SKI-NUBS or 231-526-2131) or online at nubsnob.com. Skiers taking lessons will pay for the lesson remotely and meet their instructor outdoors at the WSS meeting area. Day-of reservations may not be available.
NUB’S NOB GENERAL STORE
The Nub’s Nob General Store is open. We have eliminated some displays to create more space in the store. The store will have capacity restrictions and we will limit access when we approach the capacity of this space.
SEASONAL LOCKER ROOM
The Locker room is open to locker holders only. We ask that locker holders move directly to their lockers, get ready to ski and proceed outside. “Camping out” in the locker room will not be allowed so that we can avoid hitting capacity limits for this space. Facemasks will be required.
NUB’S NOB TECHNOLOGY & DEMO CENTER
The Nub’s Nob Technology & Demo Center will be open this season. The show room of this department is very small, and we will only be allowed to have a few people in the room at one time. We highly recommend purchasing a Tune Center Membership this season to cut down on person-to-person contact at the register.
Here is how the Tune Center Membership works:
- Visit nubsnob.com and purchase the membership before Nov.1, 2020
- At the time of purchase, you will register the pair of skis you would like our Tune Center Crew to care for this season
- Once you are registered, we will take care of your skis all winter long, no questions asked. So, if you would like your skis waxed or sharpened once a week that’s not a problem, just drop them off and we will service them
- We can even offer contactless pick-up and drop off outdoors for your equipment
We understand that the capacity restrictions in the lodge will result in tailgating and picnicking in the parking lot. This will be allowed at Nub’s Nob, but we ask that skiers stay with their group. We will not allow large group gatherings in the parking lot and will ask them to be broken up if they begin to form.
We have great events at Nub’s Nob and they will all be altered this season and some will be cancelled. Large social events like Mardi Gras will not occur. We also do not plan on live music indoors. Events like the Bahnhof Race League and Volkl/Marker/Dalbello Speed Series are being planned without an indoor component.
- Avoid Weekends and Holidays when possible. If your schedule allows for flexibility, we encourage visitation on midweek days and non-holidays. These times are less busy, cost less for daily tickets and will help disperse crowds.
- Assume others are less comfortable than you with in-person interaction. We all have different levels of comfort when it comes to human interaction at this moment in history. Mask up when near others (even outdoors), keep distance, don’t jump on a lift with strangers, make eye contact and display the general positive disposition that skiers and riders are known for.
- Be physically and mentally prepared to stay outside. If we are having a busy day it might be possible that you just can’t get into the lodge. A place to use the bathroom will be available, but that does not mean you will have access to the lodge. Think about what you are wearing before you drive to Nub’s so you can “boot-up” at your vehicle and head right for the slopes. If you are physically and mentally ready to stay outside, you will have greatly increased your chances of having a great time at the ski area.